Hello! My name is Kate, and I love to travel! Having over ten years experience of solo traveling in the United States, Great Britain, Ireland and France, I want to share my experiences, suggestions and tips with you so you can make your next trip fabulous.
Here’s eight things you should know about me:
- I grew up in a small city in Louisiana and didn’t travel much as a kid. One of my favorite family vacations was a one-day trip to the 1984 World’s Fair and Exposition in New Orleans.
- I inherited my love for Great Britain from my grandmother and great-aunt, whose father was English. After visiting England in high school, I decided to study modern British history at university.
- At 20, I spent a summer in Europe with my older sister, who was teaching abroad for a US university. We stayed in Innsbruck, Austria, during the week but spent the weekends exploring different cities and countries thanks to our Eurail passes.
- When I was just starting my career and didn’t have they money for vacations, I would buy travel guides from used bookstores so I could be an armchair wanderer.
- Travel allows me to practice my favorite hobby–photography. I learned basic darkroom skills in middle school, got my first SLR in high school and continued to develop my own film until I fully switched to digital in 2008. I’m loyal to Pentax and still occasionally use the 50mm kit lens from my Pentax K1000.
- I hate hot and humid weather, so you’re unlikely to see me traveling somewhere tropical. Even though I grew up in Louisiana, I much prefer to be in Chicago when it’s 15°F than a beach when it’s 90°F.
- If I won the lottery, I’d spend most of the money on traveling! Alas, I don’t have infinite funds or a desire to quit my job to be a budget vagabond, so I end up taking a big trip only once or twice a year.
- To me, traveling is about having fun and enjoying the experience. I can visit my favorite destinations over and over again and still discover something new. I might not have the most passport stamps or a fully colored map of all the places I’ve been, but I enjoy all my travels just the same.